Saturday, November 7, 2015

Tell Me a Story Dad

Tell me a story Dad,
about the times when you were here
Talk about the good times that you remember
the times when we were all together

Share with us how it was back then
when things weren't so easy
Times when life made you work for it and
days when your hands hurt when you got home

I remember some times Dad
seeing you sitting in your easy chair late at night
Your mind still working out problems
to make sure everything would be alright

How you rode a horse
always sitting high in the saddle
becoming one with the animal
and letting it know its worth

The hours you spent on a tractor
turning the soil so it give us what we need
Whether it be hot or cold
You just put your shoulder to the sun or wind and paid them no heed

How you spoke with a kind word
Your voice never quivered nor seemed un-sure
how people looked up to you 
and I know that even now,  they still do

There always seemed to be others
who stopped and listened when you spoke
People whether they knew you well
Or just knew of you by your style of living

To many you were Mr. Fielding
and respectfully addressed that way
A man you could go to if needed
when no one else would be there for them

Your  life wasn't always easy Dad
We threw a lot at you that's for sure
But you always seem to have the answers
If you were ask to help set things right.

A man with so much to do
But the one who always found time if we ask of you
You cared for so many
Always giving, never taking for yourself

From sunup to sunset sometimes
you willing played life's game
living one day at a time until each was complete
trying so hard to make our lives the best they could be

I'm not saying you never gave us time
you tried to as much as you could
and for those times when now I think back
I smile and thank you for what you did.

Six Boys became Men because of you Dad
we share a bond that only you could have put there
Its a feeling of pride and a sense of well being
Knowing that we would not be the men we are

If not for you

So come to me now Dad in my thoughts and dreams
and tell me the stories of your life
I'll sit and listen I promise for the rest of mine
Learning only now,  how important you were and still are to me

I still reach out to you Dad
It may be just a thought
or a memory of something you did
Your still fresh in my mind Dad
and  I promise you will never go away

Johnny
11/7/2015




No comments:

Post a Comment