Friday, November 13, 2015

In Memory of David Sweeny... My Shipmate

In Memory of David Sweeny RM2,  R.I.P.

While in the Navy David Sweeny became my Best Shipmate...

Being also from Austin it was inevitable that we cruised, couroused and tore up the West Coast the way only 2 Texas Sailors could... David was down home Texas, his manners and his drawl gave him away. I can remember so many times in the clubs the woman saying "Why... are you from Texas?" and he would produce that little smile, give them a wink, and respond with "Well,,, yes I am Little Lady...... Austin, Texas that is.. Would you like to dance?" and that's all it took..

David was the only man, I can remember, that could and would stand up in the middle of any night club, dancehall or "hole in the wall" after being served a Budweiser Beer, and while holding it high above his head would recite at the top of his voice, the Logo found on the bottle...

"This is the Famous Budweiser Beer. We know of no other brand brewed by any other brewer which cost so much to produce. Our exclusive "Beechwood" aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price. Budweiser... The King of Beers."

Then he would add "Amen" and would take a swig of the beer, turn to the waitress and say " Bring me another darlin. This one will be gone by the time you get back."

David Sweeny,,, the man who had my back no matter the situation...

Miss ya My Friend

Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment