Thursday, August 4, 2016

Traveling The Crossroads Area of Central Louisiana

I like taking my camera with me when I decided to what my wife likes to explain as "He's gone looking".    She worries about me, but knows sooner or later (usually later) the phone will ring and I holler out, "OK... I'm working my way back." Which usually means I'm with about an hour or so away from her hearing my car door slam and me walking in with that "I Love Ya Babe" look, thanking her for letting me go play...
 Soon after moving to Louisiana I quickly realized that one of my favorite areas to to visit is whats call The Crossroads Area of Central Louisiana..  It runs from the western bank of the Mississippi River to the East Bank of the Sabine River...  Centered even deeper in that area are the Parishes of Rapides and Vernon which are filled with back roads connecting small towns like Leesville, Hicks, Hunter, Lacamp, Craven, Pitkins, Union Hill and over to Glenmora  which will get you back on the main road leading North to Alexandria and South back to IH 10.

The people you will meet themselves you will find interesting and very willing to share their knowledge of the history, and places to see in their areas...  
Its what you find on the roads between these small gathering places that is most pleasing to the eye.

Mainly a area where in the 1700 and 1800 people came to live on the great trek west.  Most were farmers and ranchers and their old homes, barns and farms can be seen along these winding, heavily timbered Farm Market Roads.  Years later the area became known for its Timber Industry which is still active (watch out for the big Trucks)... just a warning...

 All one needs to do is slow down and look... Stop and visit with the people, the many crossroad corner stores are waiting for you to come in and buy a sweet tea or maybe some of the local favorite "snacks" they offer that in many cases you will not find anywhere else...  


Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment