Tuesday, December 1, 2015

:Love, Devotion and Support

Within the first months of our relationship my Sylvia showed me her devotion and support in the most unusual way.

As a new Dating Adventure She, Her Son Ron and I just happened to find ourselves at a small pond near our home that I liked to go fishing at late in the afternoons.  Syl, had come along with a book and blanket and sat reading on the bank as Ron and I worked around the pond trying to outsmart a few Black Bass that resided within its waters.

The afternoon passed casually and Syl sat on her blanket trying to read but also swatting at and dodging the small flying insects and creepy crawlers that tried to share her blanket with her.  I watched from a distance and had to smile thinking to myself "She must love me to be out here".  I would call out to her and ask if she was OK?  She always answer with "I'm Great,  I'm Fine"  as she continued swatting at the gnats that circled her head. 

As the sunset  came and went I watched her trying harder to read her book in the dimming light until she called out that she was going to go sit in the car to read.  I responded OK and watched her dash for the car. 

Within a half hour. Ron who was only a young teenager had found his was closer to me also since he had watched a water snake swim across the pond and slither along the weeds edging the water.  Fishing was new to him also but he came along on my adventures to show his support in making me feel part of the family. 

Finally, the pond was engulfed in darkness to the point that you could not  longer even see the water surface. 

From the car came a call out from Syl. "John,,, It's kind of getting dark out there isn't it?  I looked at Ron, smiled, put a finger to my lips and responded.  "Your right Babe, could you start the car and turn it so that the headlights shine out here onto the pond.  I think we can get another 30 minutes of good fishing if you could do that." 

There was silence for about 30 seconds and Ron muttered "Naw she won't do it." but just then the cars engine started and the lights came on and the Love of My Life repositioned the car casting its headlight across the pond.  

I called out "Thank Ya Babe...."  Pause.... and then she responded with "OK.. is there anything else I can do?....

I smiled at Ron... and answered back " No. Babe.  Love Ya..."

That's when I said to Ron for the first time... Ya know Ron... I love your Mom a lot. 

He responded with "She'd do anything for you John... You know that don't you? 

And it hit me... He was right... I think she would....

I looked towards the car where she was trying to again swat the mosquitos away and responded..

"Lets go home Son" for I think,  the first time.

We officially became a family when we were married less then 2 months later... 30 years ago. 

And now I have no doubt that if asked again to cut the lights on... She would respond.. OK.. is there anything else I can do?

Love ya Syl...

Johnny

 

No comments:

Post a Comment