Saturday, December 12, 2015

Do You Remember?

It's funny how we remember events in our lives... Happy, sad, funny, embarrassing, or regretful things that have occurred along our path of life that are held in a special place deep in our minds.  There for us to pull up or sometimes they jump up to remind us...  In most cases the experiences have taught us something about ourselves, others or society. With age I have found it harder to sometime "remember' things and even more recently I "re-found" a tactic that was taught to me at a very young age that still works.

In school I had a hard time remembering things but In the 3rd grade my teacher, Ms. Damerau came to me one day when seeing me mentally searching for the answer to a test question, so she taught me a trick to help me remember.  She would say... "It's easy... Close your eyes...Get a good hold on the edge of your desk and shake your head back and force sharply. It will knock it loose and bring it back to the top."

I tried and lo and behold it worked. I'm not sure if it pushed all the other things out of the way or just gave me a chance to 're-think' the question after "clearing my head'.  But no matter how, the tactic seem to work at least for me.  I used the tactic through-out the remaining years of my education but somewhere along the way in the hustle and bustle of growing up I forgot all about it..

 But the other day, while I was in the Grocery Store, I came upon a man who was standing looking perplexed and trying to remember something... He was not as fortunate as myself, my wife takes pity on me and usually has a list of things for me.  Anyway,  I passed by the man but something told me to look back and I watched as the man looked around to check to see if anyone was watching, took hold of the edge of a shelf, closed his eyes and shook his head back and forth several times, stopped for a few seconds then did it again this time a little harder... Then with a smile he got his balance back and turned and walked away definitely now remembering where he could find the item he needed. 

And I  wanted to so badly to catch up with him and ask him... Hey did you have Ms. Damerau as a teacher in school?"

But I didn't.... I was afraid he would say "Why yes I did" and then I would have to explain how I knew..

So if by chance you know me and one day I suddenly close my eyes and shake my head back and forth... Well.... I'm OK, just trying to remember something that I'm having a hard time finding.


Thanks Ms. Damerau....





No comments:

Post a Comment