Saturday, July 2, 2016


As I walked up, he reached out his hand.. Terry, Terry Benoit's the name... and you?

I had passed by as he stood on the side of the road, but had to go back.  I asked where he's played and he smiled and said "Right here... All my life,born and raised right here in Sulphur 62 years ago...I smiled and had to ask.... What month? "March" came the answer and I let him know he had me by 5 months... 

"So I asked him.... Who do you sing for.. His answer was "I sing for the Lord."" and that was when I noticed the small little cross that hung around his neck..


.The songs ranged from Elvis, to Cash, a couple of his own and even Ms. Tammy's D.I.V.O.R.C.E..... which he did looking down at the ground,,, maybe a little closer to home.... but he didn't say...

 We talked about what living in the south is like and how the people still use the qualities that they had been taught as children. Yes Sir, Good Morning, Opening the door for a woman, and treating each other the way you would want to be treated....  He got real quiet for a minute and just strummed his guitar.  Then he said without looking up.  "Ya know.. but things are changing. We're losing those things... What use to be important, doesn't seem to be that way anymore."  I had to agree, that I had seen it too.  

"But that's OK... I know that I'm still doing what I'm suppose to do.. so I'm pretty sure I'm going to a better place." he said.... and he went back to another song..

The fingers moved over the strings and it was obvious they had been there before.
                                                     
I asked about the names on the guitar? "Awww most of them just my friends.."



I gave him my card... and said I hoped maybe we have a cup of coffee sometime and share more stories....and I bought him breakfast.... then I headed on down the road... I looked back through my mirror and watched as he started another song which it was obvious who it was meant for because his head was bent back and looking up... 

Thank Ya Lord... for sharing him with me..

No comments:

Post a Comment