Thursday, June 15, 2017

Our Turn

I sat the other day on the second row of a university theater with those that are most important to me now a days... The curtain was down, and the family and friends of others filled the room with anticipatoin of seeing and watching a Son, Daughter, Niece, Nephew,  Cousin or in my Wife and my case,  2 of our Great Grandchildren preform in public for the 1st time...

I thought back to how much I had missed of my own two children, now grown adults, due to, well to due to reasons that neither one of them had any control over and that I am sorry for.

I thought back how years ago, I had not been able to attend my Grandchildren's 1st performances or their time on stages as a Grandfather.  We were there but we were thate as Father and Mother instead, due to those who should have been there choose not to be.  And thats OK... we did it proudly and with all the love and understanding of knowing that they were given as much love and care we could possibly give.  All I know is that their parents don't know what they missed.

I thought of what I had lost as a Father to my own 2 Children whom had grown up through their early years without me not being there.  All of the occasions and special times that I had missed due to those who were raising them not allowing me the priveledges of being there as a Father. But that's OK I do have some memories that I will always keep deep within my heart.

Then, I thought back and looked down the row at my Stepson Ron, who sat 4 seats down from me and looked at him as he sat smiling staring at the curtain, waiting for it to rise to see His 2 Grandchildren.

I smiled, thinking of being given the priviledge by his Mother in allowing me to be part of their lives and being able to be there as he grew into his teenage years and into his adulthood.

 A Fine Man he has become there is no doubt, and I gladly beam with a little pride that I had something to do with that or at least I hope I did.

And with all things said and done... I sat and I took my wonderful wife's hand in mine and I promised her that Now is Our Time... That these are the things that we have endured for.

 That it has all been worth it because that Little Blonde Haired Boy with the look of determination and that Little Red Headed Bundle of Joy Girl who were about to step out onto this stage are OUR GREAT GRANDKIDS and No One can take that away from us...

Yes... Now is Our Time...

Our Turn, to Be What We Should Be...

Johnny





No comments:

Post a Comment