Saturday, April 27, 2013

Running Away To Alaska




One of my favorite stories that my grandfather use to tell me was that when I was about 4 years old he came upon me walking down the road heading away from our ranch/farm in Central Texas dragging a small suitcase.  He asked me "Where ya going boy?"

 I answered "I'm running away to Alaska, going to strike gold and then come back and tell everyone Nanny, Nanny, Boo, Boo!"
He stopped and watched me walk ahead. Then he pulled up beside me again and told me "Ya know... I don't think your going to get there before dark."

He told me, I stopped and thought for a second and then asked him, "Granddaddy, Can you give me a ride back home?"

Years later, I actually did make it to Alaska while in the Navy. I did pan for gold and I did stand up,  face what I figured at the time would be about where my home in Central Texas would be, put my thumbs in my ears, wiggleed my fingers  and hollered as loud as I could  "Nanny, Nanny, Boo, Boo".

 And I left there if nothing else "feeling" a little bit richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment